Recently I visited the Santa Fe Arts District 1st Friday Artwalk in Denver with two of my fine art photographer friends Jeff Taylor – Uncommon Photography and Zach Singer – Zachary Singer Photography with the purpose in mind of checking out our local art and getting some images for this blog. Denver’s many 1st Friday Artwalks attract thousands of visitors each month and this month was no exception. One of the things I noticed was that some galleries were getting noticed by the crowd and others were not.
Some ideas on getting noticed:
- Just hanging up a sign and sitting behind a counter will probably not get you noticed.
- If you have window space then display several types of work – don’t give the idea your offerings are very limited.
- Do a demonstration that is visible from your gallery front – people like places where things are being created.
- Make your space inviting and show your creativity
- Get out and promote your space and art – pull people in off of the street if you need to.
- Offer some freebees or have a promotion like a contest.
- Invite your friends and customers – people like places with crowds.
- Use social media to communicate with your friends and followers.
- Remember two advertising adages:
- You can’t put ten pounds of stuff in a five pound bag…
- You can’t bore people into buying from you…
I’s a shame when thousands of people walk past your door and nobody notices – shame on you!