I am putting the finishing touches on a new workbook “The Artist’s Business & Marketing ToolBox” to help artists and other creative professionals learn the basics of starting and running a successful art business. The book covers the “nuts and bolts” of starting and running a business with a huge emphasis on marketing your art. Some of the topics covered in the 360 page workbook include:
Identify market opportunities and threats
Develop a competitive edge in the marketplace
Create a brand image to propel your art business
Build a marketing plan that is tailored to your business
- Sell more to existing customers and find new ones
- How to develop an effective web presence
- Using social media (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn) to expand your market reach
- Public Relations to get the word out about you and your art
- How to advertise effectively
- Using promotions to build your business
- Distribution alternatives for your art
- Pricing your art
- Using Direct Marketing
- Creating a great gallery experience
Understand the World of Finance and Accounting
- Finance and accounting basics
- Understanding financial statements
- Choosing an accounting system
- Financing your art business
- Developing a cash flow budget for your business
Managing and Organizing Your Business
- Choosing the best type organization (sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation, LLC)
- Choosing a business name
- Protecting your intellectual property
- Managing people
Producing Your Art
- How to be more productive
- Developing a Creative Plan of Action
- Manage your inventory
Develop a Visual Business & Marketing Plan
- Easy to use forms guide you through the business and marketing plan process
- An easy to read and understand business and marketing plan
- Share your plan with your employees, investors and other interested parties
- Plan is presented as a PowerPoint template which you complete with the information gathered from the included worksheets and forms.
- A cash flow budget spreadsheet is included to make the budgeting process easier.
The book will be available for purchase Fall 2011 as an electronic download (PDF) from http://creativesandbusiness.com and will be compatible with PC’s, laptops, tablets, and most readers. The download will also include the Visual Business and Marketing Plan and Cash Flow Budget templates.
About the Author
Neil McKenzie has over thirty years experience as a marketing consultant and corporate marketing executive. He has developed and currently teaches the course Artrepreneurship at the Center for Innovation at Metropolitan State College Denver. Neil was also a founding faculty member of the Regis University MBA program in the late 1970’s.
Neil is a columnist for ColoradoBiz Magazine where he writes a column on Colorado’s Creative Economy and business tools and techniques for creative professionals. He is a frequent speaker and presenter on business and the arts to arts, business and educational audiences. When Neil isn’t working to grow the creative sector is he a commercial photographer specializing in business and personal brand photography by combining his marketing moxie with his skill behind a camera.